Monday, May 28, 2012

How to be a Good Follow


By: Stacia Denhart

(bold and italize added by yours truly)

I've decided to give-up on the whole trying to figure out God's will for my life thing.  Attempting to unravel this mystery has been the dominant theme of my life for at least the past eight years now.  And I'm tired of it.  It hasn't seemed to be working very well for me, so I'm giving up...


...Part of my problem (and I guess this isn't such a bad thing, but it sure as heck complicates matters) is that I desperately desire to live in God's will...  I believe all that jazz about Him having a wonderful plan for my life.  I believe it with all my heart.  And I want to discover that plan.  I want to walk into it.


Why then am I giving-up on trying to uncover what His plan for me is, you ask? Well, it all comes down to something I've been learning in my swing dance class.

How to be a good follow.

I've been taking swing dance lessons for the past two months now, and my dance teacher is always telling myself and the other ladies in the class that to be a good follow you shouldn't let yourself think too much about what you're doing.  If you think too much about what steps you're taking or what direction you're spinning, you'll end up anticipating your partner's lead, and you'll throw the whole thing off (not to mention, really annoy whomever you're dancing with). 

The key, according to my teacher, is to make sure you have good connection with your partner, let yourself enjoy the music, and "surrender" to your partner's lead (no joke...he actually used the word "surrender")

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have to know all of the next steps of the dance in order to dance well.
I am not responsbile for other people's dancing--only my own.
Also now I want to take up swing dancing again lol
I really think I am starting to understand this...

So from one of the most overly anilitical thinker there is--
Here is to not over thinking.
Here is to trusting your partner and letting Him lead.
Here is to not trying to figure out the end.
Here is to enjoying the dance.
Watch me go. :)

No comments: