Monday, April 29, 2013

One


Let me not be blind with privilegeGive me eyes to see the painLet the blessing You've poured out on me
Not be spent on me in vainLet this life be used for change

I was born into a very affluent family.
Both of my parents grew up in relatively poor families but worked hard put themselves through school and saved their money.
I never wanted for anything. However, my parents didn't want me grow up taking money for granted.
I grew up wearing hand me downs and we shopped at good will and garage sales. And it was understood that I wasn't going to be allowed to act like a spoiled brat :)
Nonetheless I don't know what it is like to go to bed hungry.
I don't know what it is like to not be able to afford medical care or clothes.
I grew up having more than 90% of the world.

There are times I question, "Why me?" Why was I born into the most affluent country in the history of the world. Why do I get to live like this while other people die? This has bothered me from the time I was a teenager. Why do we as Christians talk so much more than we do? Critize so much more than we help?
Could a spark of Your love light the whole Church on fire?
When we care for our neighbor more than we care for style?

We don't like to talk about uncomfortable things here in America. No one likes the Debbie Downer that talks about the fact there are 27 million slaves in the world today-more than ever before, that the average age of a girl trafficked into prostitution is 12 FREAKING 12, no one wants to think about one of the 16,000children that will die of hunger related causes, and that Charlotte is a literal hub bub of sex trafficking. Nobody likes that girl who won't shut up about the marginalized, broken, poor, orphans, lost and hurting. We'd rather talk about fun things.

I don't want to be that girl. I like people liking me. I don't want to be the Debbie Downer; I don't want to be annoyingBut if I don't who will? I've stitched my mouth closed for far too long.
When I breathe in hope and breathe in grace and breathe in God
Then I'll breathe out peace, breathe out justice, breathe out love.

I am here for a reason. I have a this small sphere of influence I have for a reason.
I've been given this ability to as my English instructor told me, "You effortlessly do what some people work for years to do well--you put words to your feelings and convey them accurately."
I've been born in America for a reason.
I've right here in this very moment for a reason even if I don't know exactly why.
There is a reason I am good at rhetoric.
There is a reason that these issues like a fire in my heart and make me want to run around like a crazy person telling people.
No we can't save everyone--but we can save one. And that one is worth it.
Do we not do anything because we can't do everything?
And if you and I don't do anything-then who will?

So here I am.
My name is Ming.
I am free.
I am loved.
And
I will be a voice for the voiceless.
I will carry a torch for those who can't carry one themselves.
And I will love every single moment of it.
This is life.

No comments: