Sunday, July 13, 2008

Uh oh.... I'm thinking...

Do we live lives that don't make sense?

Hmm?

I was talking to my mom about this last night--we really don't live life like we're going to spend an eternity in heaven. We really don't. To be perfectly honest here guys--this scares me.

Why? Because even if God doesn't exist--our lives look pretty dang good. I'm sitting here as a doctors daughter sitting in a room that has more opulence in it than many people in the world only dream about. Only about 12% of people have a computer like the one I'm using sitting on my bed. And even less have internet connection.

I have a refrigerator with food in it, a closet with clothes in it, a bed to sleep in and a roof over my head. I'm richer than 75% of the world population.

Over 50% live on $2 a day.

What if God isn't real? What if Heaven doesn't exist? What if everything I say I believe is false?

...It's not that big of a deal, my life doesn't look that bad. I live a really comfortable life.

So, anyways sorry for that little tangent--but I was talking to my mom last night and I asked her, "How crazy would it be if we Christians actually lived like it seems to me we're called to live." Of course she then asked me what I meant. I replied, "Well mom what if we were to actually invite, for example homeless people to our houses for dinner, people who we knew wouldn't be able to invite us back."

Ok and I know that Jesus said, "invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind," And it's easy for me to say, "Oh, I've had disabled people over to my house for dinner!" pfffff. Um...yeah, I think if I were to say that I would have missed the point. Think about it--the crippled, lame, blind--what happened to them in Jesus' day? How did they live, survive?....anyways yeah.

Then I continued on my ramblings to my mother =P. "And mom, what about when Jesus says lend to anyone who asks of you and don't even ask for it back? How often do you hear that verse talked about among Christians mom? And you know what I find so funny about it never being talked about? What I find funny is that it's sandwiched right between two verses that adults love to talk about, especially to their kids. The one before it is about how if someone hits you on the cheek you are to let them strike the other also, and the one after it is about treating others as you would want them to treat you. Isn't it funny though how we kind of just gloss over the verse that actually kind of stretches us? That actually kind of cuts into how we do things? We live these sanitized Christian lives that look good. They even look really good from the outside--but it this honestly the road that Jesus wants us to walk? Is this it? When we get to heaven I honestly think that alot of us are going to feel so stupid for the way we lived and what we pursued here on earth."

The ramblings of a....I don't even know what to label myself anymore. =P I give up. lol

And once again, if I'm wrong about any of this--please please let me know. If I've completely lost it and am totally not interpreting the Bible right, honestly! Just tell me. Please don't just sit there and shake your head going, "That poor misguided girl who has her doctrine and theology all messed up...poor thing, I just hope God opens her eyes one day." No, please just tell me what I have wrong. I promise you that I'm willing to listen and learn--I want to learn. Anyways I'll be quiet now. =P

No comments: