Sunday, June 10, 2007

Ezekiel

If I could pick one prophet in the bible that I wouldn't want to be; Ezekiel would probably be it...
It just shows my selfishness.
When God calls you, you're going to end up doing stuff that looks stupid to the world.
  1. The guy has to lay on his left side for over a year.
  2. Then God tells him to flip over and lay on his other side for another 40 days.
  3. And tells him to cook his bread over cow dung.
But that's nothing....
Ezekiel 24:15-18
15
The word of the Lord came to me: 16 “Son of man, behold, I am about to take the delight of your eyes away from you at a stroke; yet you shall not mourn or weep, nor shall your tears run down. 17 Sigh, but not aloud; make no mourning for the dead. Bind on your turban, and put your shoes on your feet; do not cover your lips, nor eat the bread of men.” 18 So I spoke to the people in the morning, and at evening my wife died. And on the next morning I did as I was commanded.
Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me. Like God can do whatever he wants...to a point. Ok fine make the guy lay on his side, cut his beard, dig a hole, give him visions...but no, you can't take the delight of his eyes--his wife. In my human perspective it just doesn't seem fair. And not only that but he couldn't even mourn, grief, or cry about it.
I have been pondering this...it's easy for me to forget that the guys in the bible were real, live, breathing, feeling humans. They laughed, they cried, they hurt. But they still did it.
Could I do this?!? If God was to talk to me and be like "Hey Ming, I want you to do stuff that will make no sense to anyone else, be painful for you. Oh and I want to take away your family. Oh and you aren't allowed to be upset about it. All to bring people to me, and glory to my name."
Do I really believe that God is "allowed" to do that? Does he really deserve all of me? All that I love?

I have to remember God gave me the desire of his eyes.

"God did not spare his own son; surely he has the right to ask us not to even spare the delight of our eyes whatever that is."
- I don't know who said it.

Honestly do I get this.?
I'm trying...because I have to.

"That's what Christianity is, it's not about our comfort it's about his glory."
Brian Colmery



No comments: