Sunday, November 11, 2007

If only...

Children's Ministry was fun. I was told I look like a Hannah. 0.o Never heard that before.
---------------------------
"If only I knew what to do with my life."
Christian spin~~~
"If only I knew what God's calling was on my life."

When we use statements like that the underlying message is that if/when we figure it out the "If only..." we will find meaning, purpose, and satisfaction in it--whatever it may be.

I know, because sometimes I feel this way. Dozens of questions with run through my mind; If only I knew what God was going to do with my life. If only I knew if I was going to get married or be single. If only I knew if He'd called me to be a missionary. If only I knew what I should go to school for. If only I knew this. If only I knew that. And on and on. It's enough to drive a person mad.

AND THEN--it's so obnoxious when I come across those people who have known what they want to do since they were two. They couldn't imagine doing or pursuing anything else because they feel called to do it. They life or their plan for their life has a meaning and a purpose. Then there's indecisive me who just when she thinks she figured her life out--something comes up to ruin that facade.

Right now I could go and say that you should only find your satisfaction in God and that I shouldn't need to know my calling to be satisfied or have purpose. But I've been thinking about it...(imagine that.=P) And while thinking about it-- came to the conclusion that I do need to know my calling in order to be satisfied. Now before you start getting upset, let me explain (and I could be completely wrong so just bear with me.)

We do need to know what God has called us to in order to find satisfaction---but it's not a matter of finding the "perfect" career or even the "perfect" person. =P

We do need to know---but we don't have to figure it out, we already know.

We're called to love God with every fiber of our being. And love people in an unexplainable way because we love God. We are called to-- love with an unconditional love, have joy all the time, have peace in the midst of the most trying circumstances, patience when we don't feel like it, kindness in everything we do, goodness in a sin saturated world, faith when all the odds are against us, gentleness, and self-control.

We know this. This is what gives our life meaning and gives us purpose. So let's be satisfied, stop with the if only's, and just do it.

No comments: