Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Love?


Love others as you love yourself. Cute little saying.
How can I do this really though?


Matthew 25:34-46

34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’
----------------------------------------------
What does this mean practically. I think this is a verse many people are afraid to take literally.
In a sense Jesus is out there, thirsty, starving, impoverished, and in prison. Ok, what am I, what are we doing about it? And part of me hates writing about this because it can be a "soapbox" issue. And it's only been for the past few months that I have felt really strongly about it. So I don't want to be talking about this in a "passion". But this a fact, I'm rich. You're rich. We aren't starving, we have water, we have closets of clothes, and we aren't in prison. Well we can be strangers, but normally we hang out with our friends so maybe we aren't alot. So obviously unless the "stranger" part applies to us, I kind of doubt the other parts do.
Some people ask, "Where were Christians during the Holocaust?" I don't know.
And I feel there will be a time where people say, "Where were Christians when the world was in extreme poverty?" I don't want the answer to be, in their churches acting as if nothing was going on.
I want to do that for Jesus...

No comments: