Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Ok I'll be last! Wait really last?

Luke 14:7-11

7 Now he told a parable to those who were invited, when he noticed how they chose the places of honor, saying to them, 8 “When you are invited by someone to a wedding feast, do not sit down in a place of honor, lest someone more distinguished than you be invited by him, 9 and he who invited you both will come and say to you, ‘Give your place to this person,’ and then you will begin with shame to take the lowest place. 10 But when you are invited, go and sit in the lowest place, so that when your host comes he may say to you, ‘Friend, move up higher.’ Then you will be honored in the presence of all who sit at table with you. 11 For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
----------------------------------------------
We live in such, such a self-centered country, self-centered culture, a self-centered world for that matter. It's all about us, me, this moment. Ever since we were kids, it's about who gets to be first in line, who gets the biggest ice cream cone, who can run faster, jump higher, and it goes on and on. And as we grow up, the only thing that changes are the things we compete at, who can get the best grades, who has the most friends, who's the most popular...so on and so forth.
Ok so the Bible teaches us those who would be first will be last, that we should be a servants. And I get that in my head. It's like "ok be a servant got it!".
But how many times do I actually live it? How many times do I call "shotgun"? How many times do I put myself before others. I'm not running to the "servants" place. I look out for myself. And I'm sorry to say I'm very good at it. I'm really fast to call out shotgun, I'm really good at serving myself, cleaning my own room.

I really need to evaluate everything I do. I'm not going to worry about anyone else. My sins are quite a log in and of themselves.

3 comments:

Stephen D. said...

Man... I guess I never thought about that... We should serve in everything... Not just the bigger things...

Anonymous said...

Wow, really good Ming. So...whats the site you copy and paste these from? :-P

"who can run faster, jump higher,"

*cough*...so thats me...maybe a little :-P

Anonymous said...

okay here is my moment of pride...

*cough* I do love how we started blogging first
hehehehe